It has been a seismic, shocking day for the cable news industry. A moment that will likely go down in history, and for a number of reasons.
Just days after Fox News was forced to settle a massive lawsuit regarding their coverage of the 2020 election and the theories surrounding certain brands of electronic voting machines, the network’s most prominent anchor has been fired.
The stunning news came just a week after the network’s $787.5 million defamation settlement with Dominion Voting Systems — and a potentially even more costly lawsuit from Smartmatic still looming — and Carlson’s own texts and emails figured prominently in the pre-trial discovery showing Fox News executives and on-air personalities privately admitting the same 2020 election conspiracies they publicly promoted were baseless nonsense.
Carlson’s final show that aired Friday night showed no indication he expected it to be his last, with the host signing off by telling his audience “we’ll be back on Monday.”
The move was unexpected.
A source who spoke with Mediaite on condition of anonymity revealed that Carlson was in fact shocked by the news. “He was totally surprised,” said the source. “He had no idea.”
“It was a firing,” the source added, and Carlson “was informed today” — explaining why he had closed Friday’s show saying he’d be back Monday.
The Fox News newsroom is “in a state of shock,” the source said, confirming reporting by Mediaite’s Aidan McLaughlin that multiple sources within the network said the news “hit like a bomb inside the network, shocking even staffers close to the ex-prime time host who had no idea this was coming,” and found out not from any internal communication, but when the news broke online.
In an odd coincidence, rival network CNN also parted ways with on-air personality Don Lemon on Monday. Lemon had been at the network for 17 years.
Become an insider!
Sign up for our free email newsletter, and we'll make sure to keep you in the loop.