For decades, there have been concerns about China’s human rights record, and what horrid abuses they may still be hiding within their vast and authoritarian nation.
Of course, China’s reckless behavior and enormous military might prevents many other nations from speaking out against them, even as they send Uighur Muslims to literal concentration camps.
In the final days of the Trump administration, the Commander in Chief and the State Department have decided that enough is enough.
The Trump administration has determined that China has committed “genocide and crimes against humanity” in its repression of Uighur Muslims in its Xinjiang region, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Tuesday, delivering an embarrassing blow to Beijing a day before U.S. President-elect Joe Biden is to take office.take our poll - story continues below
U.S. officials briefing reporters on the move said in a call that “an exhaustive documentation of (China’s) own policies, practices and abuse in Xinjiang” viewed by Pompeo led him to make the determination that such acts had been committed since at least March 2017.
Pompeo didn’t mince his words.
“After careful examination of the available facts, I have determined that the PRC, under the direction and control of the CCP, has committed genocide against the predominantly Muslim Uighurs and other ethnic and religious minority groups in Xinjiang,” Pompeo said in a statement.
“I believe this genocide is ongoing, and that we are witnessing the systematic attempt to destroy UIghurs by the Chinese party-state,” he added.
China will almost certainly respond with some fervor of their own, having not missed many opportunities to take a shot at the United States in recent months.
Become an insider!
Sign up for our free email newsletter, and we'll make sure to keep you in the loop.