The events of January 6th have become a focal point of social media companies in recent days, as they look to stymy the organization and incitement of those angry about President Donald Trump’s electoral loss.
Many of the MAGA faithful believe that the election was “stolen” from Trump, and the online discourse surrounding the contest has turned angry and threatening online. Followers of the Qanon conspiracy have suggested that President Trump could invoke the Insurrection Act in order to arrest members of the “deep state” in the coming days, after they committed “treason” in certifying the results of the election itself.
These are their theories, and reporting on those theories is not an endorsement of the storyline.
Furthermore, many believe that the President himself will provide a clear and specific signal for when this action is to take place, making a statement to the public that includes the phrase “the storm is upon us”.
Do you think Cubans are fighting for healthcare or freedom from Communism?
Twitter and Facebook have already taken action to prevent the President from speaking freely to the nation, and now it appears as though YouTube has jumped on that bandwagon as well.
YouTube has taken action against President Donald Trump and barred new videos from being uploaded to his channel for at least seven days, citing violations of its policies and “concerns about the ongoing potential for violence.”
It’s the latest action against Trump after last week’s deadly riot at the U.S. Capitol by a pro-Trump mob. Twitter and Facebook have both also suspended or blocked the president’s accounts.
YouTube issued “a strike” to Trump’s channel, and said comments would also be disabled indefinitely. The company also said it removed new content posted Tuesday.
President Trump’s Twitter ban is believed to be permanent, while Facebook has, for now, only temporarily restricted the Commander in Chief from posting.
Become an insider!
Sign up for our free email newsletter, and we'll make sure to keep you in the loop.