As tensions rise around the nation, local authorities are doing everything that they can in order to maintain the peace. This has not been a particularly fruitful effort thus far, as cities from coast to coast devolved into raucous riots in the overnight hours.
Nowhere has this been more true than in Minneapolis, where the killing of George Floyd by police has sparked much of the outrage. Several nights of violent protests have ensued, and out of an abundance of caution for private business owners and his own citizens, Governor Tim Walz is doing everything he can to keep everyone safe.
Last night, Minnesotans and the world saw National Guard members arrive at the 5th Precinct to clear out the crowd. On Saturday, the full force of the Minnesota National Guard has been mobilized in response to widespread, ongoing violence.
It’s a move that has never before been taken in the state’s history. According to online accounts, there may be up to 13,000 soldiers and airmen serving communities in Minnesota.
Walz’s language was unmistakable.
“We built this state. We built the North Star. Everything that we believe in, these people are trying to destroy,” Gov. Tim Walz said Saturday morning.
The largest deployment in state history will take place ahead of what’s expected to be the largest influx of protesters the city has seen so far in the aftermath of George Floyd’s death at the hands of Minneapolis police officers.
“Our great cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul are under assault,” Walz said. “The situation in in Minneapolis is now about attacking civil society, instilling fear and disrupting our great city.”
One can only hope that Walz’s gamble pays off, and that protesters don’t try to tangle too heartily with the pseudo-military force.
Become an insider!
Sign up for our free email newsletter, and we'll make sure to keep you in the loop.