Earlier this week, a massive blast rocked the city port city of Beirut, in an event that was tragic, stunning, and captured on social media.
This is the craaziest video from the #BeirutExplosion I've seen yet.
HD camera on tripod very close to the explosion.
— BasedPoland (@BasedPoland) August 7, 2020
The official story of the blast has changed several times over the course of the last few days, with some news agencies originally reporting that the blast took place at a fireworks factory. Then, US President Donald Trump suggested that “his generals” had received information that caused them to believe that this was perhaps a terror attack or intentional explosion.
Yesterday, that theory was seemingly put to rest by port officials who blamed the explosion on a warehouse full of ammonium nitrate that had been abandoned by a Russian shipping crew back in 2017.
On Friday, the speculation took another dark turn.
Lebanon’s president has said an investigation into the Beirut explosion is exploring the possibility it was caused by “a rocket or a bomb”.
Michel Aoun spoke on Friday after the number of victims in the explosion rose to 154, with another 5,000 people injured.
Mr Aoun told local media: “The cause has not been determined yet.
“There is a possibility of external interference through a rocket or bomb or other act.”
International rescue teams are still searching the rubble of Beirut’s port nearly three days after the explosion hit the city.
As with any major and explosive event, a number of conspiracy theories have begun to foment online, and there is little doubt that this latest statement from Aoun will be stirring that pot.
Become an insider!
Sign up for our free email newsletter, and we'll make sure to keep you in the loop.